It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mosquito Lagoon
PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 8:44 pm 
Ex-President

I left the Salty Feather barbeque around 7pm Friday night and headed down to fish the Mosquito Lagoon outing. We rented a cottage on the lagoon and Rick, Dick and I stay there Friday night with Dick leaving and Jason arriving on Saturday. We had great weather, a little windy, but well worth the effort. We didn't catch a lot of fish but boy did we have some shots.

On the advice of Brian or host, Rick and I fished 10 miles south of the cottage just a little north of Haul Over Canel in Oak harbor. We took advantage of the shelter behind the clinkers and used the southeast wind in our favor to blow us home. We found lots of fish along the way but had little luck getting them to eat. I did manage to catch one.
Attachment:
Rick.jpg
Rick.jpg [ 84.42 KB | Viewed 1047 times ]
We were back at the cottage by 2pm exhausted and hungry. After lunch we rested up and hit the water for the sunset action. It was really wind so I paddled to a spot that would offer some shelter. It was full of fish; tailing, backing, busting fish! The conditions were tough due to the very shallow water and the snot weed but I finally got one on the line and in the boat.
Attachment:
Saturday.jpg
Saturday.jpg [ 100.2 KB | Viewed 1039 times ]

Jason got in around 8pm Saturday night and the wind was howling. He has a canoe so we had to come up with a way to get him to the fishing ground which were up wind to the east. We decided to launch Rick's boat, which we had towed down, Sunday morning and Rick would ferry us to an area we hoped would be holding fish. The boat ride east was a long wet one but when we got to the area we had chosen there were tails everywhere. I found one school that had to have had 50 tailing fish in it. There was however one little problem, these fish would not take a fly. I put my fly in front of a big school and the lead fish would swim right over it, I give it another twitch and the middle of the school would also ignore it. Then I would twitch it again, feel some resistance and end up snagged to one of them. Rick and Jason had the same kid of luck. It was still a morning filled with excitement even if we only caught 1 out of a 100 fish.
Attachment:
Sunday.jpg
Sunday.jpg [ 89.44 KB | Viewed 1067 times ]

Woody and Seth stopped by on Saturday afternoon but I didn't see any other outing participants. We rented a great place right on the water with a dock, perfect for a relaxing afternoon gathering but no one came. Well for those who missed it the beers were ice cold and the breezes that made the fishing such a challenge were now greeted as cool and soothing. I can't wait to go back.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Mosquito Lagoon
PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 5:45 am 

Great report Rob! I wish I could have gone as the water and area is a great place to kick back.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 7:31 am 

"I'll be back"

Attachment:
the-terminator.jpg
the-terminator.jpg [ 40.15 KB | Viewed 1028 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 9:03 am 
Education FCFF

REally great report! I wish I could have been there. I'm glad that I'm back to 100% feeling better....whew....

Bart

Profile Email  

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 11:16 am 
Ex-President

Woody! You really buffed up! Must be all the excercise you got poling me around into the wind! I had a great time, we all really need to take advantage of that fishery, it is pretty awesome!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 3:41 pm 

Now for the rest of the story! I feel guilty having such a good time playing @ such a primative activity. I hope more members take advantage of this wonderland. Don't go for the fish, go for the experience!

Attachments:
ML-daybreak @ cottage.jpg
ML-daybreak @ cottage.jpg [ 179.26 KB | Viewed 1027 times ]
ML-large school.jpg
ML-large school.jpg [ 203.02 KB | Viewed 1011 times ]
ML-luckiestSOBIknow.jpg
ML-luckiestSOBIknow.jpg [ 150.73 KB | Viewed 1003 times ]
ML-adventurecraft.jpg
ML-adventurecraft.jpg [ 193.53 KB | Viewed 1010 times ]
ML-Jason and friend.jpg
ML-Jason and friend.jpg [ 190.64 KB | Viewed 1008 times ]
ML-robo blessing.jpg
ML-robo blessing.jpg [ 168.78 KB | Viewed 1019 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 7:50 pm 
Education FCFF

You're correct Rick---he is a lucky blank-ity-blank...haha

B

Profile Email  

PostPosted: April 28th, 2009, 12:09 pm 
Ex-President

Nice pictures Rick.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 5:48 pm 
Dick Morris and I went north and ran into water that was even too shallow for the 5" draft on the River Hawk. Wind was pushing us further into the shallows so we spent most of the morning working our way back to navigable water. I missed the meeting Friday night due to returning from a golf trip so my plan of attack wasn't well laid out. I plan to try it again heading south (or east). Lesson learned = give up golf.