It is currently August 19th, 2017, 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sleighride in the Creeks - Club Trip
PostPosted: December 13th, 2009, 5:48 pm 

Club trip started out with pretty cool conditions, little wind, and lots of bugs. Brad and I launched and paddled across the creek and immediately got into a school of small - med sized trout. We caught a fair bunch, and then as the tide started to drop out slowly, we started to look for some reds. We caught a few more trout, and a couple of rats, then after lunch, started to see fish tailing and crusing the banks. Took a shot at a number of fish, I had a couple of close calls but no cigar. Brad caught a really nice upper slot red that took him for a bit of a sleighride before being subdued. All in all, a great day on the water.
Attachment:
Trout.JPG
Trout.JPG [ 71.45 KB | Viewed 2443 times ]

Attachments:
Brad Rat.JPG
Brad Rat.JPG [ 62.69 KB | Viewed 2456 times ]
Brad Sleighride.JPG
Brad Sleighride.JPG [ 66.68 KB | Viewed 2478 times ]
Brad_Red.JPG
Brad_Red.JPG [ 77.12 KB | Viewed 2470 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Sleighride in the Creeks - Club Trip
PostPosted: December 13th, 2009, 6:24 pm 
Education FCFF

Great report and great outing. Sweeeeet Red Brad!

I would have rather had bugs today that the wind we had to battle.

Seth and I went west, into the wind and high water. We had no luck fishing current seams or creek mouth's for trout. I did manage a small trout up one creek and a small flounder on an oyster bar.

At low tide, we did find some reds busting but the water was very murky and we could not get a hook up. On the way in, we explored a nice looking creek that ended up holding quite a few reds. They were very active and Seth and I ended up with a double. Seth's red was camera shy and jumped back into the water before I could get a picture.....I think it was like 35 inches long.....well at least mid slot.

Fun time, now I'm ready to chill in front of the TV.

Bart

Attachment:
IMG_3974[1] (Medium).jpg
IMG_3974[1] (Medium).jpg [ 41.08 KB | Viewed 2364 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3977 (Medium).jpg
IMG_3977 (Medium).jpg [ 52.09 KB | Viewed 2468 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3979 (Medium).jpg
IMG_3979 (Medium).jpg [ 52.65 KB | Viewed 2463 times ]

Last edited by FCFF_Admin on December 13th, 2009, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: December 13th, 2009, 7:05 pm 

Brad - you are doing great this year! Seems you have got the hang of it now.

Great eagle pic there Bart. Enjoyed chatting with you, Willie and Rob afterwards.

John and I fished Shad creek with no luck, but it turned out to be a beautiful day. Enjoyed the outing, ready for the next one.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: December 13th, 2009, 7:38 pm 
Ex-President

Had a great time today! I can barely muster the energy to type....paddling is work! Big thanks to Rob for letting me borrow his yak, and to Bart for showing me around. He even let me catch a fish! Good times. I need to get me one of those kayaks!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: December 13th, 2009, 8:35 pm 

Nice write up. Super pic of the eagle. I'm going to try to make some of these outings after the 1st of the year. I went out for a couple of hours after lunch to catch some of the incoming and caught 6. Most were under slot but one keeper.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: December 14th, 2009, 8:59 am 

Ernie was an awesome guide today. Saying he 'knows that area' is an understatement; he knows it better than I know my own backyard. He had good fly selection for the area..."Brad, I think that fly is too big for these fish, try this one. I like small flies". He would say, "I know this nice trout hole"...within seconds I'd look over, his rod bent, trout splashing on the surface. Or, "there is an oyster bar on this side, so lets drift and cast"...next thing rod is bent and a rat red has taken his signature gray Clouser.

We had a nice snack and stretched our legs out on a nice shell bar about midday. After that we pushed on (can you say 10-15 + gusts) for low tide reds.

Kayak positioning was/is definitely my "Achilles heel"; I blew several opportunities due to this. Many times those creeks are just too deep for the stakeout pole to take hold. A few times, I thought I was in a wind shadow but wasnt and got pushed out of position. Just frustrating when that fish is just out of reach. You might not get another shot. Sometimes that fish shows himself again, sometimes he doesnt...

Overall, I'd say there was plenty of bait, shrimp minnows/mullet, and the water was clear.

Entering another area he knew for reds, Ernie pointed out seeing a fish hit near a oyster bed in our narrow creek. He moved on and I stayed to watch and positioned myself. "Ernie's red" showed himself again, I cast, he hit with a vengence. Such a great feeling to see that big swirl of fins and tail move to take your fly and finally feel that weight at the end of the line. That red gave me a 'schooling'. Fighting those fish in a tight creek with wind, current and animal taking you into crab pots and oyster beds is a challenge. I brought him near the kayak several times, but he would take line at will until he was comfortable with the distance. Once landed, you could see he certainly was strong and spunky; happy about the cool water he was living in. He seemed "fresher" than the warm water flood tide fish. He also had a row of small "teeth" on his upper lip.

My best red on fly to date.

Ernie, thanks for the early Christmas gift.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: December 14th, 2009, 10:57 am 
Ex-President

Nice fish Brad!!! I am glad you got a chance to fish with Ernie. He knows that creek system better than anyone.

I fished with Wllie & Mike Broom in Willie's new Panga. We went north on the west side and didn't see any active fish but we did manage to catch trout & a couple of rats. Many thanks to Wllie for taking me out on his boat, I had a great time enjoying a beautiful day on the water.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: December 19th, 2009, 11:57 am 

A great outing on a beautiful day. Mike and I owe Rob bigtime. Fishing with Rob is better than any guide and you have to pay the guide. Rob was very patient and passed on lots of knowledge to Mike and I. I am really hooked. This was my first real outing with the group and really enjoyed the fellowship with everyone. I can't wait until the next get together and my plans are to never miss another outing!!!!!

I am here every weekend and the entire week between Christmas and New Years and the full week beginning the 15th of January. I have to go to Vail 3 weeks a month to earn fishing money. Anyone wanting to do some boatfishing those weeks and needs a ride let me know and we can try to get together.

Thanks for all of the help Rob

Profile Email  

PostPosted: December 19th, 2009, 11:58 am 

I forgot to give contact info on that last post. Willie Mizell, 612 308 5415, or wom@mizellcmsol.com

Profile Email