It is currently December 14th, 2017, 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: WF vs DT Fly Lines
PostPosted: January 14th, 2010, 7:17 am 
Education FCFF

I have always used WF lines. SA makes a GPX in WF and DT. I might have missed the use difference when Bruce was here last year.

I'm assuming that it takes less false casting with the WF. Does it have anything else to do with loop formation or stability?

David or anyone have anything to shed some light on the subject?

Bart

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: WF vs DT Fly Lines
PostPosted: January 14th, 2010, 8:42 am 
Ex-President

My understanding is pretty much what you said regarding the taper and the loading. We use WF in the salt as the flys are typically bigger and we need the mass to get/keep them moving. The DT are more of a trout fishing thing, although it is nice that you can wear out one end then turn it around and have a new line!!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: WF vs DT Fly Lines
PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 12:37 pm 

The double taper fly line is a fly line that has a thicker middle section, and then gradually loses diameter (and weight) the closer it gets to the end of the fly line. Double taper fly line are balanced - both ends of the fly line weigh the same and each end gradually increases in diamater the closer it gets to the middle section of the fly line at an equal rate.

So, especially for shorter casts, the relative diameter (weight) of the line as it lands on the water, is much less than a comparable (line weight) weight forward line. As the amount of DT line increases (as the casts get longer), the advantage (delicacy) is less.

One other benefit with the DT line, again relating to the differences in relative weights in the front section, is that line mending in moving water, and roll casting are easier. So, in general, given the type of fishing we tend to do here, weight forward tapers are probably the way to go, if I was doing dry fly or nymph fishing in smaller trout environments, such as North Georgia or the smokies, then a DT might be a good choice....IMHO.

Profile Email