It is currently December 14th, 2017, 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What Are Rod Drift, Followthrough, and Creep?
PostPosted: July 11th, 2007, 1:47 pm 

I look at DRIFT as repositioning of the rod after the stop which achieves as its major accomplishment longer stroke length and rod arc yielding increased available tip travel for the next stroke. This repositioning of the rod moves the tip in the direction of the unrolling loop. This move can also place the casting arm and hand in a new position for more efficient application of power during the following stroke.

I see this as useful on both back cast and forward cast during false casting.

FOLLOWTHROUGH is a term usually reserved for the same rod action on the forward DELIVERY CAST. Since there is no next stroke, it cannot increase stroke, rod arc, or tip travel.

Followthrough can actually result in increased casting distance in two ways:

1.) It can be done as a thrust in the direction of the target to gain a few extra inches and,
2.) this can diminish the friction between the fly line and the guides simply because the repositioning of the rod can be done by pointing it at the target thus diminishing the angle between the traveling rod leg on the shoot and the tip-top.

CREEP is the (usually unintentional) repositioning in the direction of the upcoming stroke after the stop. The rod tip stops, then moves in the direction of the upcoming casting stroke, then stops again momentarily, before continuing through the stroke. This repositioning is nearly always unintentional and it happens most just after the backcast stop.
For example: In the backcast, a caster will make the stop, then the rod tip will move forward and stop again, before beginning or continuing the true forward cast. Again the movement is mostly unintentional, but the rod tip often moves two or more feet.

How does creep adversely affect the cast?

Creep shortens the upcoming stroke length – the distance a rod tip travels between its start and stop. It also unloads the rod by introducing slack into the line.

What causes creep?

Again, we’ll use creep after the backcast stop since it’s seen most often.
Creep is caused by a couple of things:
1) The caster puts too much force into the stop or overpowers cast just before the stop; or,
2) The caster unintentionally moves the rod forward (after a backcast stop). In both cases, the rod tip prematurely sets up for a forward cast, then stops, before beginning the actual forward cast. This premature set up shortens the actual forward stroke, introduces slack into the line, and unloads the rod. Since rod load is necessary to make an efficient cast, creep is undesirable rod tip movement.
Creeping a rod forward has a similar effect as nocking up an arrow on a bow, pulling out the string to maximum tension, then moving the bow itself toward the string -- it removes tension -- and it shortens the next part of the casting stroke..

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: What Are Rod Drift, Followthrough, and Creep?
PostPosted: July 11th, 2007, 2:53 pm 

Good information David! Obviously "Drift" is good, "Creep" is not good! Drift and followthrought is best. I learned a valuable lesson from you many months back when I use to false cast to many times(4-5). I listened to you and practiced "Drift". Especially doing so on the backcast. It actual added more distance to my forward final cast with only 2-3 false cast. The timing did become more critical though and the accuarcy was'nt as good.
On the other had "Creep" is not a good thing from what I've read. On the contrary I read a post in FS forum that talks about "Creep" being an advantage. Except they called it "slide loading". I plan on posting a copy of it when I get time. It claims that it adds more line speed, distance, etc. I would like to get your opinion on this! Thanks for this info! Smile

Profile Email  

Post subject: Creep v Slide Loading
PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 8:41 am 

"slide loading"

Slide loading is not creep -- but it is an apt description of the process of intentionally repositioning the rod forward at the beginning of the forward acceleration while allowing line to slip upward through the rod and out the tip. As with the beginning of any correct stroke, the rod tip will under stress before, during, and after the slide load. The additional friction of the line moving in opposition to the rod through the tip and (to some degree the additional weight of the line outside the tip) increases rod bend/load/flex.

The Joan Wulff school of casting and others (including LL Bean school) are big proponents of slide loading. I've done it when the situation called, but didn't know it had a name until I started studying casting seriously in the 90s.

Here's what Joan has to say about slide loading:

"The forward "slide" is, in fact, a Loading Move by the rod hand, the beginning of the
acceleration. As I did say, the backcast and the forward cast are done in normal time, so when the Drift move is completed, the forward Loading Move is next - while the line is still shooting backward.

"I, too, call the bending of the tip backward at the end of the shoot, Preloading. It gives you a head start on the bending/loading of the rod."

In her book Fly Casting Accuracy, Joan uses the description: "...the rod slides down the fly line."

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 9:11 am 

Confused I'm going to have to read this one over a few times! I need to see it actual done. David, can we meet early again at the next meeting?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 18th, 2007, 8:51 am 
Education FCFF

David,

Take a look at this guy's casting on You Tube. Is this a good example of CREEP based on how you described it in your first post on this thread? I started to notice it on about second 18 in video.

Bart
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=3

Profile Email  

Post subject: Good Casting videos on Sexyloops.com
PostPosted: July 18th, 2007, 1:58 pm 

Yep, it's creep alright. See how the rod rebounds in the opposite direction of the fly line before he actually begins the forward stroke.

Some good videos on www.sexyloops.com

D

Profile Email