It is currently November 24th, 2017, 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Very high quality slo-mo of distance caster
PostPosted: July 25th, 2007, 10:32 am 

Take a look at these videos -- there're 15 of them. They show very good casters throwing lots of line. Notice where they begin the haul and where the haul stops. Watch the line hand carefully. This is only one method of hauling, ubt it obviously works.

I find it very interesting the see the number of rod recounds and counter flexes after each stop. Notice, too, where the rod stops ad the rod-straight-position, that is, where the loop begins to form.

This is very interesting stuff, very high resolution slow-motion.

http://revver.com/find/video/?query=gru ... rch&page=2

David

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Very high quality slo-mo of distance caster
PostPosted: July 25th, 2007, 1:07 pm 
Education FCFF

Very cool stuff to look at!! It appears that the action on these rods are not "fast"--I'm only thinking this because of the depth of the bend under load....or am I off base on that thinking?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 9:55 am 

Very interesting! Thanks for posting that!

The double hauling was impressive! I wonder how long of a cast these guys are throwing?

I'm quite suprised with the amount of rod recounds/counter flexes after the stop. The loop first appears to be very wide off the rod tip as it begins to form but miraculously recovers well with narrow loop. Cool

The other thing I noticed was that on most of the backcasts the rod tip drops pretty low appearing to first form a wide loop and they slowly lifted the rod tip up. Seems a bit to wild. Confused

I also noticed that the fly leg and leader did'nt seem to follow the RSP or a straight line path mostly on the backcast. The leader was not straight and kinda was tailing in and upward motion.

Some of the machanics seemed off to me from all the literature I've read about casting. But hey!... if it works what the heck!

Thanks David!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 31st, 2007, 8:05 pm 

Rich -- The partyline patter on casting is one thing; reality of slo-motion is another altogether. The fact is that I had this e-conversation last week with Bruce Richards of Sci Anglers and co-designer of the Casting Analyzer. He mentioned that he and co-casting analyzer creator bio-engineering prof Noel Perkins are working with a new super-super hi-rez camera with more than 2x resolution of what is out there now. It will work in unity with the casting analyzer, which only measures rotational motion or the hand/rod butt. Independently, neither tells the full story. But we do get some new insights from these videos, as you've garnered.

Michaelson and I discussed this for an hour today. I believe that the few feet of rod-leg line that move in divergence with the line of the cast are pulled and straightened by line momentum (we're remembering from Newtonian mechanics that p/momentum=m/mass x v/velocity -- p=mv). Imagine pulling a small odd shape out of a hose from 50 feet; it's about the same thing.

So the question is this: Does the fly line really go in the direction the rod tip moves just before the stop? Or just after the stop?

And another: What really, actually stops in the cast? The rod tip? The rod butt? The hand? All? None?

And this. Re: Passing your basic instructor's test -- better not to get too far into the physics. The tests ask general questions: All the casting 'rules' have exceptions; your testers will know this. Still, the test can't become a physics volume, so generalities have to be made to cover a majority of situations.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 8:59 pm 
Ex-President

Hi Dave! I tried the link and it is broken....any chance you know if it was relocated? Maybe you have it saved somewhere? I'd love to see it. I am an engineering geek and have always been interested in this type of thing. Thanks -Seth

Profile Email  

PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 8:11 pm 

Seth, these are the new pages. Sorry for the long response time.;

http://revver.com/find/video/?query=gru ... rch&page=2

Profile Email  

PostPosted: October 8th, 2008, 7:28 am 

Here is some more info:

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/8rod.shtml

Profile Email