It is currently December 14th, 2017, 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Distance fly line
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 5:29 pm 

I have finally exceded the limits of a 105 foot fly line and am looking for recomendations on a distance fly line of 115 feet or more

Thanks Gavin

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Distance fly line
PostPosted: March 24th, 2013, 12:58 pm 

As you probably know the end of any fly line is running line, so you are probably shooting at a minimum, the last 10 feet of the running line. So, why not just shoot the backing?

The longest casts are made by shorter shooting heads attached to Monofiliment running line.

With all of that said, I think my sharkskin Saltwater Line was 120 feet. Someone gave it to me as a gift. The first thing in did was cut off the back 30 feet of it, so I could have more backing. I like Backing! Smile

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 4th, 2013, 7:05 am 

Gavin. What I do is add running line from an old fly line to the back of whatever practice line you're using. Add maybe 15 or 20 feet. It's easy to do, just slip on a 3 inch piece of braided mono. Cut both lines on a long diagonal slice, super glue them together, then nail knot the braid over the splice and trim it tidy.

Shooting backing is not the answer, really, although it's thin. The real issue is that it tangles and blows in the wind. Usually running line will not do that.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 7th, 2013, 12:05 pm 
Ex-President

Another trick for the splice is to cover it with one of those heat shrink tubing pieces you get with the Chinese finger trap style loop connectors for the end of fly lines. I never use the finger traps, but i do like the tubing!! helps it slide through the guides nicely.

Profile Email