It is currently November 25th, 2017, 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tailing Loops?
PostPosted: May 28th, 2007, 6:12 pm 

I sometimes find that when casting out of a kayak I occasionally get a tailing loop. I never get them when casting out of a boat or standing in the yard Razz
What primarily causes tailing loops? Confused What is the best way to prevent a tailing loop? Neutral

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Tailing Loops?
PostPosted: May 28th, 2007, 8:37 pm 

Tailers are a much written about and oft misunderstood subject. The newest studies conclude that tailers--at least the great majority--come from the the rod tip traveling a concave rod tip path before the rod reaches the Rod Straight Position (RSP) (which causes the rod tip to travel upward, crossing over the Straight Line path (SLP) of the fly line. Another way of putting it is that the rod tip 's upward movement at the end of the concavity forces the fly leg of the loop to cross over the rod leg.

Gordy Hill, head of the new caster's lexicon group for the FFF and a FFF Board of casting Advisor, reports the consensus is that tailers are caused by the following:

1. USING TOO SHORT A STROKE FOR THE AMOUNT OF LINE CARRIED,

2. CREEPING AND THEN USING TOO SHORT A STROKE.

3. USING NO CREEP AND THE CORRECT LENGTH OF STROKE FOR THE AMOUNT OF LINE CARRIED, BUT TAILING BY FORMING A CONCAVE PATH OF THE ROD TIP WITH AN ABRUPT SPIKE OF POWER EARLY DURING THE STROKE.

(THESE ALL YIELD A CONCAVE PATH OF THE ROD TIP DURING THE CASTING STROKE.)

I'd add that most of these occur early in the stroke. To cure, lengthen and straighten the pulling/loading/translational part of the cast, and do not apply the power snap/ speedup and stop/rotational motion until later in the casting arc.

Fixing your tailer may be as simple as even-ing out your acceleration and not using your wrist until the later in the casting arc. That means starting the forward/delivery cast more slowly and accelerating evenly through the speedup and stop/rotational phase.

If this isn't clear, let me know and I'll give it some more cogitatin'.

David

Profile Email  

PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 9:41 pm 

I think there's just some mental thing about sitting so close to the water that makes you want to speed standing u up the cast early. Happens to me more in the yak than standing up too.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 5th, 2007, 6:48 am 

Greg McC wrote:
I think there's just some mental thing about sitting so close to the water that makes you want to speed standing u up the cast early. Happens to me more in the yak than standing up too.

As I think about it --

Kayakers may have the tendency to throw higher on their backcasts to keep the fly out of the water. Then, since they are starting with a high backcast, their straight line forward cast may be angling down to the water.

A downward trajectory would greatly shorten the cast. To prevent that and lengthen the cast, you may be raising the rod tip through the last portion of the forward cast, which could create a concave tip path and result in a crossing line or tailing loop.

See the illustration, such as it is.

David
Attachment:
Kayak-Tailer.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 5th, 2007, 2:34 pm 

Good analysis David and very well put!! That makes a lot of sense to me Smile I'm going to keep my eye on that. Thanks for the illustration!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 11th, 2007, 7:36 am 

One more thing about the tailing cast -- It usually happens when someone has applied too much power to the rod tip too early in the casting stroke -- generally in the early part of the stroke. To correct that, concentrate on making the rod accelerate evenly through the stroke and make your wrist rotation late in the stroke -- and only then.

David

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 11th, 2007, 8:35 am 
Ex-President

That's exactly why I get them. I put to much power to soon and unevenly on my foward stroke.

Profile Email