It is currently November 25th, 2017, 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Line Designs Mean Longer Casts?
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2007, 7:23 am 

Is it gospel or is it hype?

Last year Airflo came out with the first truly revolutionary line design in decades -- the Ridge Line. I don't count the new super slick coating as revolutionary, regardless of what the PR guys say.

Until the Ridge, contemporary line coatings have generally been uniformly round and smooth. They made full contact with line guides as they passed through and they reflected light (called flashing). This increased line friction and slowed down the cast. Line flash telegraphed unwanted information to the fish.

Airflo's new Ridge is not flat but, uh, ridged, which means the surface is made of parallel micro-ridges which run the length of the line, as in the photo below
Attachment:
Ridge_demo.jpg
The ridges reduce friction; that really does let you shoot more line. It's great stuff. Airflo also added a new power core to minimize stretch and improve flotation. Read more here http://www.flylines.com/Flylines_AirfloFlylineRange_Fresh_Ridge.cfm

This year Scientific Anglers has one-upped Airflo with their new Sharkskin Lines. Sharkskin Lines are based on new lotus effect research which creates a micro-geometric pattern around the circumference of the line. As with the Airflo Ridge, SciAngler's Sharkskin greatly reduces surface friction, which in theory, will give you longer casts. See photo below
Attachment:
sharkskin_closeup_350.jpg

Read more here http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scientific_Anglers/Fly-Fishing/Products/WhatsNew/

Both lines claim reduced line flash, higher flotation, and reduced memory, but the Airflo ridge comes with a 5-year 'No Crack' warranty. SciAnglers maintains that their new line doesn't change characteristics in warm or cold water. This could be a real improvement. The real rub comes with price. Sharkskin lines cost a cool C-note, while the Airflo Ridge weighs in at $70, but both companies say the lines will last as much as 3 times longer than their earlier offerings.

I've only thrown the Airflo line, and I was impressed. I'll try to get a couple of demo lines to play when I do the FCFF Fall Casting Day with Mac Brown. Don't miss Mac's casting clinic, by the way. He stood the casting world on its collective ear with his book Casting Angles. He's perceived worldwide as a true fly casting evolutionary.

Bring any and all casting questions to the November meeting.

David

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New Line Designs Mean Longer Casts?
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2007, 7:35 am 
Education FCFF

David,

Great post! I have heard good things about the Airflo but this is the first chance I've heard of the SA sharkskin.

I wish I could make the November meeting to ask questions, but I have 2.

What about dirt collection, especially with the Airflo design?
Any idea of how these modifications will impact your stripping finger, especially the SA design?

Thanks.

Bart

Profile Email  

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2007, 7:55 am 

Bartman wrote:
What about dirt collection, especially with the Airflo design?
Any idea of how these modifications will impact your stripping finger, especially the SA design?

B - both lines have new uber-slick coatings, but the SA Sharkskin claims its line sloughs dirt like a lotus leaf, citing incorporation of technology utilizing studies of lotus leaf and flower. See this wiki for some really fascinating info on lotus effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_effect.

See also this cool lotus effect video http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:LotuseffectAnimation.ogg#file

As to stripping finger rub. All I can offer is a guess. SA says they see no microscopic wear to line guides after 1 million passes. My guess is that reduced guide friction would apply to the stripping finger as well, although my quess is surely flawed.

The Airflo Ridge would rub less as it passes your finger, but the true test will be in the using of these lines.

My concern is this: Do we really need these improvement? Is it just one more thing that will give the unskilled angler an upper hand. There should be an element of time-on-water (observational) learning to this sport.

And there's the cost issue, of course.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 8:06 am 
Education FCFF

Thanks David.....really "slick" information.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 11:20 am 

Very interesting! I heard about it. I question how this effects an individuals normal casting mechanics. Confused What if you have a fast action-stiff rod that requires an aggresive power stroke to fully load the rod. I'm thinking that you might generate to much line speed and spoil the cast. Confused Might act more like a shooting head set up which has been difficult for most casters to deal with. On the other hand reduced line flash, higher flotation, and reduced memory is a BIG plus! Thanks for the info. David! Smile

Profile Email  

PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 7:12 am 
News Letter FCFF

David & Rich - - -

Think we could get Mac to bring several copies of his book with him in December.

JCS

Profile Email  

PostPosted: October 30th, 2007, 5:48 pm 

I'll make sure Mac Brown brings his books with him. He's the only outlet, right now, unless you're buying in Europe, where he has an agent, I believe.

Mac is an oft quoted expert on Sexyloops.com, which is the central nervous system for fly casting dweebs these days.

Profile Email