It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: article on Midcurrent about accuracy, fly line head length a
PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 4:52 pm 

I read an article on Midcurrent about accuracy, fly line head length and temperature factors by Chico Fernández:

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/gear ... fsite.aspx

that I'd hope to get comments on from you guys, specifically head length vs. shooting line tips.

Quick summary is, for accuracy sake, shoot less line; to make a 50' cast, false cast 45', shoot 5'. Makes sense. You also dont want to spook fish with a 50' false cast to 50'.

Chico says :
Quote:
Ideally, you want a weight-forward fly line with a head short enough that, within the first couple of false casts, most of the weight is out and the rod loads quickly. But the head should be long enough that you do not have to shoot too much line and lose accuracy. For example, with a 30-foot head, you'd probably have to shoot too much line to reach 60 feet and still be accurate.
Also says a typical flats cast is 35 to 60'. I'm just guessing from his article that you drop your accuracy drastically if you have to shoot more than 10'.

He says that a line with a longer head, say 40' (plus 10' leader) , allows more line to be false cast (50') and less shot ( 10' ) for accuracy.

So for my questions:

1a) Why does a line designed with a 30' head require a longer shoot for an equivalent distance ( compared to a 40' head ) ?

1b) To get to 60' (using that 30' head ) cant you false cast 50' and shoot 10' ? Or do you have to be SuperCaster - Dave Lambert - to do this ?

2) Does the longer head length design make it easier to carry more line in the air ?

As an aside, I've seen the scenario where the guy has 60' stripped and stretched out into his LMD (line management device), aka "bucket" or basket, perched on the casting deck or wading...

3) How much line do you guys actually have out of the ROD TIP the while sight fishing to get that first false cast ?

thanks.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Accuracy and casting
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2008, 7:05 pm 

Brad: I'll tackle some of what you asked. Complete answers will require much time and synaptic crossings than I care to expend right now.

I agree with Chico on principle, but I think he's being charitable, or maybe he fishes with better casters than I do. Most casters I deal with can't hit a 3-foot target from 45 feet more than about 65 percent of the time. Nobody is 100 percent accurate--nobody. Try it yourself if you think I'm kidding.

Sixty-five percent accuracy in fly fishing isn't all that bad, considering buck fever, wind shifts, rocking boats or craft, moving targets, and assorted concentration diverters.

I think Chico's issue here is that most casters don't practice enough to become accurate with shoots longer than five feet. Which is silly. You can draw a corallary between casting practice and numbers of fish caught.

What bothers me in this article is that Chico says you want to get "most of the weight out" of the rid tip (read: head weight) to load a rod quickly. Then he suggests a 40-foot head and 10-foot leader. Now you have 50-feet of line and leader out of the rod tip. Add the 9 foot of rod length from tip to the caster's belly and that gives you approx 60 feet. Then he says shoot some line. That takes you to 65 or 70 feet. For my money that's just too long a cast to count on being accurate every time. Truth is only a very small percentage of casters can be accurate 70 feet, or even 65.

Why not practice picking up 35 - 40 feet of line, then shooting on the backcast to get your distance. If you pick up 30 feet of head outside your rod tip, shoot 10 feet on the back cast, add 9 foot of rod length plus 1.5 feet of arm length, plus say 8 foot of leader, you've made a 60-foot cast with no shoot on the delivery cast. Much more accurate, too. One pickup, one cast, with no false casting to determine accuracy . (It spooks the fish -- and any fish that is between you and your target fish that you may not have seen.)

Now, about line head lengths and tapers. That's the subject of my next article. Stand by.

Hope this helps.

David Lambert

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: article on Midcurrent about accuracy, fly line head length a
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2008, 12:43 pm 

Brad, take a look at this image of line heads and tapers I compiled. I think I wrote about tapers some in the education area/flylines.

David

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2008, 4:52 pm 

Does BASS line mean Largemouth or Striper ?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: December 4th, 2008, 7:55 am 

LoTide wrote:
Does BASS line mean Largemouth or Striper ?

Bass means black bass, usually. Large, wind resistent flies with lots of bulk, sometimes lots of weight. Generally you want a very fast turnover with these because of the bulk. Bass lines usually are good for redfish and other species where you want an indelicate presentation or have large weighty flies.

Profile Email