It is currently November 25th, 2017, 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: FCFF Spring Fly Tying
PostPosted: April 12th, 2010, 8:20 pm 
Education FCFF

As I mentioned at the April club meeting, we will begin our Spring Fly tying classes. Below are the pertinent information:

Dates: The following 4 consecutive Wednesdays (April 21, April 28, May 5 and May 12)
Time: 6PM is the planned start time.

These classes are geared toward intermediate fly tyers but beginners are encouraged to attend. I want to focus on flies and styles of flies that are effective on the fish of NE Florida, particularly Redfish and Trout. My overall plan is to focus on one fly but depending upon time and interest, I'll mostly likely have a second fly to teach.

Below is a general plan of the flies and dates that they will be taught.

April 21: #4 Tan Kwan. This pattern work well as a crab or shrimp imitation. It teaches general Merkin style crab body pattern tying techniques that can be applied to other flies. If there is time, I might tie a Crystal Bugger, which is basically a larger wooly bugger that is great for Bass and Reds.

Attachment:
Tan Kwan (Small).jpg

April 28: Borskey's Redfish Slider. This pattern is an excellent pattern for a larger style fly. It is a crab or even baitfish imitation that can really move water. Redfish will hammer this fly. I chose this fly because it illustrates working with synthetics (craft fur) as well as palmering feather techniques. However, most importantly, I felt it to be a great fly to introduce working with Deer Hair. If there is time and interest, I will teach spinning deer hair on a different fly.

Attachment:
Redfish Slider (Small).jpg

Attachment:
Spun Deerhair Topwater (Small).jpg

May 5: Needle Fish. Dick Michaelson will help me out since I'll be out of town on the 5th of May. Dick uses this pattern with great efficacy on trout at night under dock lights.

Attachment:
Needle Fish(2) (Small).JPG

May 12: Epoxy Spoon Fly. One of my go to patterns for catching redfish in the grass. I did not invent this fly, however, I'll be more than happy to show you how I tie it.

Attachment:
Epoxy Spoon Fly (Small).jpg

I'm looking forward to helping teach this class.

Bart

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: FCFF Spring Fly Tying
PostPosted: April 13th, 2010, 4:56 am 

Looks REAL good Bart! This should be very informative and exciting for the members!... Razz

Profile Email  

PostPosted: April 13th, 2010, 11:57 am 
Ex-President

I just watched an episode of Spanish Fly the other day where the guide Jose was fishing with tied a merkin with the yarn tied in on the bottom of the hook to help it ride point up. With the yarn tied in on the top if is competing with the eyes for which way the hook rides. I though that it was intersting food for thought.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: April 13th, 2010, 1:59 pm 
Education FCFF

Nehrke wrote:
I just watched an episode of Spanish Fly the other day where the guide Jose was fishing with tied a merkin with the yarn tied in on the bottom of the hook to help it ride point up. With the yarn tied in on the top if is competing with the eyes for which way the hook rides. I though that it was intersting food for thought.

Seth....that's a really good point! I've tied these similar to Mike Conner's article in June 2000 of Florida Sportsman, but I might have to whip up a few with the yarn on the other side. I just use the bead chain to give it a slight jigging motion; I'm overall not too worried about hook up or down.

Thanks!

Bart

Profile Email  

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 4:42 pm 
News Letter FCFF

Looking forward to the classes.

Will the rod building classes begin in June? Rolling Eyes

Profile Email  

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 9:30 am 

Bartman wrote:
Nehrke wrote:

Seth....that's a really good point! I've tied these similar to Mike Conner's article in June 2000 of Florida Sportsman, but I might have to whip up a few with the yarn on the other side. I just use the bead chain to give it a slight jigging motion; I'm overall not too worried about hook up or down.

Thanks!

Bart

I have a little secret trick I do to make the hook ride point up in cases like that. Slightly bend the hook eye about 3/16" back into the shank on an angle away from the gap. This makes it ride in a bendback fly style. Wide gap hooks are best used here for helping swing the point up and... so you don't miss any fish.. Surprised Bend chain tied on the same side as Barts pic shows. Not a secret any more!.. Laughing

Profile Email