It is currently November 25th, 2017, 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vise recommendations?
PostPosted: December 18th, 2010, 8:08 pm 

I thought I would try my hand at tying. Any vise recommendations? Should I spend a little more $ and get a rotary vise?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Vise recommendations?
PostPosted: December 18th, 2010, 8:32 pm 

For large flies, you cannot go wrong with a Regal Clamp vise. It has a notch in the jaws that holds hooks size 8 and larger. The hook will simply not move when inserted in this notch. There are no adjustments needed between hook sizes. You simply squeeze the lever for the jaws and insert the hook. They are also not overly expensive. I have other vises as well, but the Regal I have had for 25 years, and use it most of the time. It will travel to Florida with me in a week.

As far as rotary vises. I have a Rensetti Presentation Vise that is a rotary. But I have tied flies so long without using rotary techniques, that I have not bothered to learn them. An 'old dog' here. Some folks that are rotary tiers swear by them.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: December 19th, 2010, 5:23 pm 

I bought a Renzetti Clouser Traveler and was not impressed. I later saw that they make a traveler in a salt water variety and it it a much nicer tool.

The abiltiy to rotate a fly is very handy. Even if it's not a true rotary, it's nice to have to be able to reposition the fly without taking it out of the vice.

As a side note, I purchased an inexpensive vise from BPS for $19.95 that works just fine for what I've tied so far. Not fancy, but it rotates and holds a hook. Great for starting out.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 10:09 pm 
Education FCFF

Tom,

Fly tying is addictive. You will want to tie more flies. With this thought in mind, I would recommend purchasing a true rotary vice. A true rotary, keeps the shank parallel with the table top when rotating. This is key when I "tie" my epoxy spoon flies.

You don't need to spend a fortune, but I would recommend something that can handle a wide range of hook sizes and can travel. Table top clap would be O.K., but getting a vice with a pedistal and you never need to worry about it fitting onto the table.

Two vices to consider, Dyna-King or Renzetti. I believe Rich Santos has the Dyna-King, I think Rob also has a Dyna-King. I have a Renzetti Traveler. Don't get the Saltwater traveler. The saltwater traveler is designed for larger hooks and will limit your small fly tying (blue gill). I fish salt all the time and I have tied on hooks from #12 blue gill flies up to 3/0 hooks for fishing in the surf. I also took my vice down to the Bahamas a couple of years ago when I went bone fishing......fun.

I've had my vice over 5 years and I'm very happy with it.

Bart

Profile Email  

PostPosted: December 21st, 2010, 4:41 am 

Guys, thanks for your input and recommendations!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: January 30th, 2011, 7:56 pm 

I ended up getting an Anvil Apex vise from the local fly shop here. Simple rotary, pedestal base, handles size 24 to 6/0 hooks, seems very solid, made in USA, around $100. Seemed like a good starter vise. Here are a couple of my first efforts. Your basic Clouser minnow on a #2 hook and my modification of the bonito bunny (white bucktail, krystal flash, chartreuse cross-cut rabbit strip) on a Mustad 34011 #4 streamer hook. Bart is right. I can see it becoming another addiction!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: January 31st, 2011, 7:04 am 
Education FCFF

Well done and welcome to the "hobby within the hobby".

Bart

Profile Email