It is currently November 20th, 2017, 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sea-ducer Tutorial
PostPosted: April 14th, 2008, 9:11 pm 
Education FCFF

This is one of my favorite shallow water redfish patterns. It has near neutral bouancy and lands very quiet--great sight fishing pattern. I fish this fly on a floating line with short strips......3 to 6 inches. Variations of colors that I have had success with here in NE Florida include are as follows: Black, brown, olive with red head, white with chartruce head and all grizzly hackle. I usually use neck or cape feathers splayed for the tail and then saddle hackle for palmering the body. In the example below, I have used all Cre Neck hackle with tan thread.

I almost always use a #2 34007 mustad hook.....this size helps is be a little less bouyant without needing to add any weight.......very slow sinker.

By the way, the Sea-ducer was developed originally by Homer Rhodes and it was called the Homer Rhodes Shrimp fly.......

Hook: Mustad #2 34007
Thread: Tan, Denier 210
Tail: Pearl flash with two Cre cape hackles on either side splayed
Body: Cre cape hackles palmered forward

Here is the sequece of tying:

Start the thread on the hook
Attachment:
Step 1 (Small).jpg

Wrap 2 pieces of flash around the tying thread and attach as in the following pictures.

Attachment:
Step 2 (Small).jpg

Attachment:
Step 2a (Small).jpg

Attachment:
Step3b (Small).jpg

Cre cape to choose neck hackles from. For the splayed feathers on each side, I choose two feather from one side of the cape and two feather from the other side. If you are using a bag of hackle, just choose two similarly sized feathers for each side.

Attachment:
Step 4 (Small).jpg

Take the two feathers and strip down to the stem so as to produce the desired length tail. Tie them in place. I sometimes do a loose wrap and use head cement to keep them from "spining".

Attachment:
Step 5 (Small).jpg

Below, these are actually two feathers that I'm tying in on the far side of the hook.

Attachment:
Step 5a (Small).jpg

Attachment:
Step 5b (Small).jpg

Attachment:
Step 5c (Small).jpg

Tie in the near side hackles to complete the tail.

Attachment:
Step 7 (Small).jpg

Chose two feathers, Cre neck hackle in this case. Find the place in the stems where it will bend without breaking. Strip off the feather to expose the stem. Secure the stem so that the feathers bend naturally toward the rear of the fly......right to left in the photo....

Palmer them forward. Do not just wrap the feathers. I have a picture of an example of how I palmer the feathers.....look down a couple of pics.....

Attachment:
Step 8 (Small).jpg

Attachment:
Step 8a (Small).jpg

To complete the head/body, I had to contiue to palmer by tying in an additional feather....I only used one here......

Attachment:
Step 9 (Small).jpg

Palmering example below.......

Attachment:
Step 9a (Small).jpg

Attachment:
Step 10 (Small).jpg

I like to pull the feather stems back and build the head up so as to force them backwards for a clean looking head.

Attachment:
Step 11 (Small).jpg

Whip finish and add head cement. You're done!

Attachment:
Finish-side (Small).jpg

Attachment:
Finish-top (Small).jpg

Fun fly to fish and easy to tie!

Bart

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Email