It is currently November 24th, 2017, 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Black Epoxy Spoon Fly tutorial (photo intense with video)
PostPosted: June 28th, 2007, 5:05 pm 
Education FCFF

I thought that I would share how I make my black epoxy spoon fly.

Hook: #4 Mustad 34011, modified
Thread: Black, Denier 210
Body: Devcon 5-min epoxy and #20 Mason Hard Mono
Weight: 0.025 lead tied on back of shank
Flash: 4 strands of copper flashabo
Tail: Orange calf tail & black and orange barred sili legs
Weed gaurd: #20 Mason Hard Mono as a "V"

I start out by sharpening the hook and crushing the barb. I then modify the shank with my needle nose pliers. I place a bend in the shank by starting at the eye and working slowly to the the bend. Once I have the bend I want, I open the gap up with my pliers.

I have adopted Borski's lead tying style to more than a few of my flies. Here I start out by tying a piece of lead onto the back of the shank with both pieces of lead side by side.

Once I get it towards the bend where I want it to stop, I fold it back onto itself and wrap it to where I originally tied in the lead. This, along with the epoxy and hook mod, will force the fly to ride hook up as well as form a small keel.

Next, I straiten and cut a piece of #20 Mason Hard mono and figure eight it in place at the bend of the hook.

I then, cross the tips to get an idea of where I want to cut the mono. You could mark the mono at the cross with a sharpie if you like.

I tie the cut mono ends to complete the outer shape of the spoon body. When the mono is cut, there is a ragged end that will readily be captured by the tying thread. I basically put the ends right next to each other on the back of the shank, i.e. I don't overlap them. I do a quick wrap and super glue into place. When the super glue dries, I whip finish and cut off the thread.

Now comes the fun part. I use the epoxy to form each side--a rotating vice is a must. I do one side, and then the other. In the video, I have already done one of the sides and here I am completing the second. With some practice, this will be a snap. (NOTE: to watch video below best, right click and open a new window)

Allow the epoxy to cure for about 10 minutes (it's easier on the Sharpie marker). Then color the back of the fly black.

Next, apply a light coat of epoxy to the back of the fly to protect the black color.

Reposition the hook in the vice and restart the thread. Tie in two strands of copper flash by folding them around the thread and doubleing to form 4 strands. You can trim length later.

Tie in a small tuft of orange calf tail.

Then tie in the sili legs. I take 2 strands and double around my tying thread. This creates 4 legs underneath the fly. Whip finish.

I then trim the flash and sili legs to the desired lengh.

Now I add a weed gaurd as a "V" by using a straitened piece of #20 Mason Hard Mono and whip finish. I also coat the base of the gaurd as well as the tail tie in with 5 minute epoxy for durability.

Here is the finished fly.

In the picture of the finished fly, it seems as if the orange "tail" is a large claw sticking up with the fiddler's legs underneath. When the fly is slowly stripped by the hook eye, I feel that it simulates a fiddler's "sideways" exit. This fly will not roll over and wobbles nicely.

Great fly in the grass!

Have fun.....Bart

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Black Epoxy Spoon Fly tutorial (photo intense with video)
PostPosted: June 29th, 2007, 8:18 am 
Ex-President

Bart that is a great looking fly and I have seen you catch tons of fish with it. Thanks for showing us how to tie one.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2007, 9:57 am 

Very nice, You're alright. Let's fish! Troy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2007, 10:32 am 
News Letter FCFF

Excellent post Bart!

When using epoxy spoon flies, I usually add a few drops of paint and/or glitter to the epoxy as I am mixing it. This way you can skip the coloring step at the end. The paint doesn't seem to have an affect on the curing of the epoxy.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2007, 3:15 pm 

Great post Bart! I need to tie some of those up.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 30th, 2007, 7:57 am 

After looking at this excellent post, I'm thinking that this could be adapted to a larger spoon to spinfish for bass or larger salt water species. Anyubody ever try to make a spin or baitcast spoon?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 30th, 2007, 8:09 am 

Spoon fly for bait or spin? I have made a spoons that cross over from fly fishing to spin. If I have the time I will post some pictures in the comming weeks. I have some spoons that float and dive. I call my creations "Fish-O-Matic" spoons.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 1st, 2007, 6:37 am 

Excellent Demo Barts and well designed! Very Happy Especially the lead wire deal with helping the hook point to ride up. I'm sure that helps with less weed snags. Couple other things I noticed that I've done differently in the past and have gotten frustrated with. You apply the epoxy on one side at a time. I would say that is definitely better and less stressful with the timing . I know that you have only a couple minutes to work with the epoxy. How long would you say the epoxy must sit before applying? I also noticed that your botkin can hold a good bunch of epoxy. This is the best fly tying tutorial I ever come accross! You need to submit this FT mag dude! Wink

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 1st, 2007, 7:54 am 
Education FCFF

First of all, thanks a TON for the complements. I am glad that this has been helpful.

Rich,

I don't really let the epoxy "sit" before applying it to the spoon. I express out equal amounts of epoxy from the Devcon double syringe....I'd say just enough before the pools of liquid start to touch. I use 3 x 5 index cards (all white) for my mixing plate (cheap, disposable and works great). You mention my larger bodkin to hold more epoxy....for me, this is key. As you know, I desribed how to make that in the "Lookie Here" section of the website. However, you could get a plain old box of shiny nails....about 3 inches long....and use the nail as a "disposable" bodkin. This way you could focus on the fly and not on the epoxy which is hardening on the bodkin. I've gotten so used to it that I can rotate my fly with my left hand and still wipe off the bodkin with paper towel. Laughing

Applying the epoxy one side at a time is a huge help. My video is with my camera on a tripod looking down onto the vice, so things are in reverse to how the tier sees things. Notice, how I adjust the fly with my left hand while I apply (smear) the epoxy from the bodkin from left to right? It is very simple to create the "skeleton" of the fly (mono and lead); tie up three of them and then practice with the epoxy and nails for application. By the way, to recycle the nails, just heat the epoxy up a little with a lighter and crunch it off with needle nose pliers.

Bart

Profile Email  

PostPosted: August 26th, 2007, 11:53 am 
Education FCFF

I (and others) have noticed that some of the crabs can be small and have white claws. I played around with a smaller hook (Mustad 34007 #4) modified similar to the long shank hook. In the pic below, the orange one is the same one tied in the beginning of this post.

It works nice and a redfish recently gave it two "fins" up.

Bart

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Alternate Spoonfly tutorial
PostPosted: August 27th, 2007, 8:50 am 

Bart -- here's another tutorial for spoonflies, although yours is the better of the two, I think. I used these with a center design and they delaminated after a couple of uses. Might epoxy the center stuff together to eliminate that.

http://nwmangum.com/spoonfly/index.html

Profile Email  

PostPosted: August 27th, 2007, 9:36 am 
Education FCFF

Thanks David for the words and the link. I believe that is Connie Mack from Galvaston, TX....super nice guy and great tyer as well. I have tried to do the "cut out" style flies and I personally find them a little difficult....but they sure look good.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 21st, 2009, 6:35 am 

Bart,

Your intense spoon fly tutorial has made the FSportsman forum !

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=870857

Profile Email