It is currently November 25th, 2017, 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Need Opinions on Kayaks
PostPosted: August 28th, 2009, 9:16 pm 

So, as you might imagine, once you start adding up all the junk, kayaking can become a very expensive sport. But, I bought a couple of items quite a few years ago, and although both are quite pricey, over the years, they have more than paid for themselves many times over, if for no other reason than avoiding trips to the chiropractor. To help with loading and unloading the boat from a roof rack, I have been using a contraption called "The RollerLoader" (http://www.rollerloader.com). It works with pretty much any vehicle, and can be used from the front or back of the vehicle.
Attachment:
Rollerloaderpic.jpg
The second accessory helps to cart the boat from the car to the ramp. There are many different options for kayak carts, the one that I've been using, and I've had the same one now for about 15 years, is "The Paddleboy" (http://www.paddleboy.com). It's been bombproof, and makes moving the boat around a snap...
Attachment:
paddleboy.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: August 29th, 2009, 5:15 am 

Chan,

I have the Heritage Marquesa/Redfish 14 and find it quite easy to stand in, as well as paddle. I would have to say that Bart's description is very accurate. My fishing time has dwindled down to almost zero since my son was born six months ago, so my kayak is usually available if you want to make a trip down to St. Augustine and take it out for a day. Shoot me an email if your interested gmccarthy19@gmail.com

Greg

Profile Email  

PostPosted: August 29th, 2009, 8:16 am 
Education FCFF

Greg.....Congrats on the family addition!

TarzanChan......I use the paddle boy wheels that Ernie describes above. I used to drive my Jeep Grand Cherokee down to the water's edge but I won't try that in the Chrysler 300. I rig my ride where I park and wheel it to the water. The added advantage of this tecnique is that when the noseeums are feasting near the water, they usually don't bother you where you park your car.

As for loading my kayak, I use a $10 shower mat with suction cups on the bottom. This protects both Pimp Mobile and provides a little grab when I'm getting my kayak on top. For my Chysler, the wheel set up won't work, but is great for rear loading a SUV.

Great thread.

Bart

Profile Email  

PostPosted: August 29th, 2009, 6:24 pm 

Thanks guys. All good and useful info. I appreciate the extra effort. As with most things there are a lot of little tricks one only learns by doing or from those who have done. Good to here from you Greg....have not seen you in a while.
Chan

Profile Email  

PostPosted: August 29th, 2009, 6:27 pm 

And thanks for the offer greg. I may very well do that. Congrats on the new family member. My daughter is now 6 and keeps me running.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: September 17th, 2009, 7:37 am 

I have been really happy with the Wilderness Ride. Nothing better than the Wheelez for wheels.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 12:52 pm 

Poles for kayak and canoe? A 14 good bamboo weighs about the same as glass, maybe lighter. It's a better spring launch, (the flex part of all poles) and it's free. Plus, I'm with Flip Pallot on this one: I love the feel of natural material in my hand -- way better feeling than either glass or carbon fiber, and I have all three.

Profile Email