It is currently November 21st, 2017, 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Homosassa December 2008
PostPosted: March 18th, 2008, 1:38 pm 

The motel that we will be using for our Homosassa outing needs early booking due to the popularity of the location. Here is a link to the motel: http://www.macraesofhomosassa.com/ . If the link does not work then lookup Macrea's of Homosassa or e-mail me.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Plan early
PostPosted: March 19th, 2008, 8:51 am 
Ex-President

Here's an arial view of the area.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Plan early
PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 8:35 am 

Here is a package of information that you will find helpful.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Bob's Report
PostPosted: January 8th, 2009, 2:07 pm 
Administrator

This was the first time I have visited the Homosassa area and I must say that it is a good place to visit for a fisherman. The four members of the First Coast Fly Fishing Club that made it had a great time. Jim Fallon and myself went down Thursday afternoon to get set up and look things over. The weather did not cooperate as we would like. The winds were 20-25 mph with sea from 5-7 feet on Thursday and Friday (this made for tough casting on my small boat). We met up with Dick Choate and Mike Perez on Friday morning and decided to wait till friday afternoon. The high winds pushed the water up from the river to the parking lot (see picture). The weather cleared enough so that we left the dock around 3pm Friday. Dick and Mike went down river and Jim and myself went up river, all the way to the springs. There were a few boats fishing so we stoped and tried our luck (no luck). We saw a few manatees but they would not take our flies. We learned of this spot from Earl Waters in Homosassa. I understand he very knowledgeable about fly fishing and the area (he shower us his world record Permit that he caught on fly, (30lb on a 6lb tippet?). On Friday Jim and I went up river to the Salt river (see photo) and explored and fished. I caught one trout. Dick and Mike went to the mouth of the river and the begining of the gulf and tried the grass flats. With no success they went up river (almost to the springs) and caught snook, lady fish. From what Earl told us, the snook, snapper and trout leave the springs around 5pm and travel the shore line down river. This is a good time to fish for them. Earl also said that the fish will bite if the water is above 50 deg. My fish finder read 70 deg. at the springs and 58 deg. at Salt River. I was amazed at the bottom contours of the river. You could go from 12ft to 1.5 ft in a matter of 3ft of travel. The bottom is all rock and everybody warns you of the danger. The rule is to follow the channel markers (no matter how crazy they are located). The channel markers make you dog leg all over the river and sometimes go within 30 of shore on a half mile wide river.
After our fishing on Friday I recommended we eat at a local restaurant that was given good reviews by a local. Margaritaville is a must stop for food when visiting. (talk to Dick about their drinks)
One suprise on the trip was a conversation that I had with Earl about fishing for Barramundi in St. Cloud. There are ponds that you stand on the banks of and fly fish (with 9-10wt). He said it was a cross between a snook and a tarpon. He recommended we partner with the Tri county fly fishing club since they go there each year (follow this link http://tcflyfishers.com/Next/Outings.htm)
Although we did not catch the fish we set out to catch, it is my opinion that the Homosassa area is a first class area to fish and the motel is very nice and clean.

Profile Email