It is currently November 21st, 2017, 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mosquito Lagoon FCFF Outing 2008
PostPosted: June 15th, 2008, 9:20 am 
Education FCFF

Great trip with great friends. I fished with Rob, Jazz and Woody. Getting up early for a long road trip is trip is tuff but can be worth it.

Weather was perfect for fishing as well as a shuttle landing. Rob, Jazz and I were fishing in a secluded area when we heard the sonic boom........fish and kayaker alike were taken by surprise. In the pic below, you can see Jazz at the bottom and the shuttle in front of the cloud in the upper right....

Attachment:
IMG_2681 (Small).jpg

Hanging out during lunch......sure was hot!

Attachment:
IMG_2684 (Small).jpg

Attachment:
IMG_2686 (Small).jpg

As far as fish, we found quite a few redfish but they proved to be very difficult. We all had shots......Rob and Woody were able to hang a redfish. Yazz caught about 6 trout. I had two trout with only one worth a picture.....see below.

I tossed my fly toward what I thought was a couple of moving redfish. The fish slammed it as took off. I was convinced it was a good sized redfish until I got it about 20 feet away. That was when my fishing buddies heard and saw me freak out a little. I snapped some crappy pics and relased her unharmed. It went slightly over 8#s on my boga grip. I measured the distance in the bottom of my kayak later--looked to be around 29 inches. Don't think I'll come close to a trout of that size on fly anytime soon.........ok, probably never.

Attachment:
IMG_2675 (Small).jpg

Attachment:
IMG_2677 (Small).jpg

Good times......Bart

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by FCFF_Admin on June 15th, 2008, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Mosquito Lagoon FCFF Outing Report
PostPosted: June 15th, 2008, 9:38 am 

It was a fine day on the water. Everyone had a good time and caught fish. We had a rendezvous shortly after the shuttle landed to figure out the plan for the afternoon. Bart was trying to be smug about his big fish
Attachment:
IMG_0065.JPG

Just how big was that fish?
Attachment:
IMG_0066.JPG

Hanging out on a sandbar
Attachment:
IMG_0056.JPG

Jazz taking a much needed break after trying to keep up with Bart and Rob all morning on no sleep.
Attachment:
IMG_0064_filtered.jpg

The shuttle landing from my flat
Attachment:
IMG_00521.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by WhiskeyHotel on June 15th, 2008, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 15th, 2008, 3:01 pm 
Ex-President

Sweet pics, and AWESOME trout! Bart, looks like that practical casting clinic paid off....bigtime!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 15th, 2008, 4:55 pm 
Ex-President

That is a big ass Trout. I was following a school of Reds when Bart landed the gator but I had no idea, save the jumping up and down and screaming just kidding, that was coming from the outside sandbar. I wish I was closer so I could have gotten a picture of Bart and his fish but he decided to release the thing before it got sunburned.

Here are some pictures I did take..........
Attachment:
3 Amigos.jpg
Attachment:
Red.jpg
Attachment:
Red Mouth.jpg
Attachment:
Under Water Red.jpg

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 15th, 2008, 5:19 pm 

Great report guys! Well the fly fishermen in the boats went north instead of south from Haul Over. I guess we should have gone south. I caught three trout only 13" each. Saw alot of fish but no takers. I think Brad saw a huge red (40"?). This is a great place to fish, the water was very clear and the flats went on forever. Most of my hits were in water over 3" deep. The Space Shuttle going overhead as we were fishing was a once in a life time opportunity.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 16th, 2008, 4:43 pm 

Congrats guys! Y'all were very successful catching. Wish I could say the same. I'll add my report and pics this week.

This is only a portion of the Haulover parking lot, all of which was full:
Attachment:
HauloverParking.JPG

FYI, only one ramp here.

Haulover ramp view:
Attachment:
HaulOverRamp.jpg

Bob White and Dennis Holt ready the Riverhawk:
Attachment:
ramp.jpg

Bio Lab ramp was much better launch for those guys; that spot has immediate access to ML.
Haulover would be quite a paddle.

Bob and Dennis cruising the canal eastward to ML:
Attachment:
BobnDennis.jpg

Westward would get you to the Indian River.

Osprey:
Attachment:
Osprey.JPG

Canal opens to this view of the ML :
Attachment:
LagoonView.JPG

Big Red caught by bait right at the mouth in channel:
Attachment:
BigRed.JPG

Not sure how these guys get away with anchoring in channel ? Why do law keepers not enforce ?
In the afternoon there must have been ten boats anchored in a relatively small area making for hard navigation for large boats.
I'm sure they make way for large boats...but for same size boats they acted like they owned the water...
By the way that fish was no fluke. At 1:30 PM on the way in, we saw another red, same size as the morning's, come up next to us in that same channel. They were using whole crabs.

Fishing partner and host Lew:
Attachment:
LH.jpg

Around 11 AM we heard that familiar loud double "crack" in the atmosphere that could only be the shuttle:
Attachment:
ShuttleZoom.JPG

As Bart said, weather was perfect. Water was relatively "clear" with 3-4 foot viz depending on your location. Wind was easterly and light, but built up to a considerable level on the western shore. While drifting some shallow shoal grass flats that held baitfish, I used a self made epoxy gold spoon "fly" with no hits. Lew was casting a spoon fly as well. There was a porpoise or two swimming in our area that shut down the fish Bob and Dennis were getting. Later Lew and I would wade a grass flat that held lots of baitfish. Rule #1: Shuffle your feet - LOTS of stingrays here...and they dont always settle in the sand. Rule#2: If you hook up keep your legs closed. I had several hits using the Doug Moore's "Milk'Em" fly that I tied in "class" this year, but no hookups. I actually saw one fish hit the back of the fly that was small and trout shaped; at the time, I was casting into a sand hole and retrieving towards the edge of grass.

So, here is my fish "tale".

As I was looking back towards Lew's boat, I saw a LARGE wake heading towards me. I froze and thought what the heck ? Is that another porpoise heading my way ? Lo and behold a BIG redfish. I confess. Panic set in. Stinkin' Stagefright. Quick cast. Plop went nowhere. "F". I looked down...why the heck is my line wrapped around my leg ? He's gone, not really spooked or in a hurry, but wary. I start moving and blind casting. I see large mullet skipping about 5 minutes later a hundred yards away. Then just baitfish. Not sure about 40", like Bob says, but my fishing partner asked me if maybe I saw a "manatee". Rolling Eyes Ha ha, funny Lew. Like Lew says, no witnesses or proof, just another stinkin' fish story.

Heading back westward.

HC bridge:

Attachment:
HaulBridge.JPG

A view of the Indian River:
Attachment:
IndianRiverView.JPG

Haulover canal connects Indian River to Mosquito Lagoon.
Some "Haulover" canal info:

http://www.nbbd.com/godo/history/landmarks/01.html

Incoming view of the HC ramp:
Attachment:
Return.JPG

The ramp got stacked up on the way out.

Saw a manatee family inside the ramp's cove:

Attachment:
ManateeFamily.JPG

Vehicle Assembly Building:
Attachment:
VAB.JPG

Special thanks go to Mr. Bob White for providing the outing maps and to my host Lew.

Last edited by LoTide on June 17th, 2008, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 16th, 2008, 9:54 pm 

Good report Brad. Thanks, we were wondering about the rest of you.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 17th, 2008, 7:50 am 

Nice report fellas! I think it's one you'll never forget because of the stuttle. I missed a good one due to other plans I made a long time ago to fish down south. Congrats Bartman on that Gator!.. Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2008, 8:53 pm 

Great fishing. Wishin I was there. Super Trout Bart!

Profile Email