It is currently November 25th, 2017, 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fernandina Outing July 2008
PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 7:59 pm 

Don Edlin and I hit the Fernandina ramp about 10:00 this morning for an exciting day in Tiger Basin. We started off on the full high tide seeing bonnetheads chasing crabs along the shoreline. We saw one crab literally scramble up the bank as the jaws of death tried to grab him. This happened about 15 feet from our boat.

Then we met up with Jazz who was christening a new boat. Encouraged by the action we fished hard through the falling tide, but had only one trout to show for the effort, which was considerable (the effort, not the trout).

Tiger Basin looks like redfish nirvana, but today it was not to be. By the late afternoon both of us had our worn out knees barking at us, so we hung our heads and with great humility motored back to Fernandina. It could have been worse. We could have been paddling.

Attachment:
IMG_0214-1.JPG

The JazzCraft
Attachment:
IMG_0212-1.JPG

They've gotta be out there somewhere
Attachment:
IMG_0211-1.JPG

I think he's laughing at us
Attachment:
IMG_0213-1.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: THE OUTING TRADITION CONTINUES
PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 8:56 pm 
Education FCFF

To paraphraze Woody...."it was tought out there today". Rob and I were paddling......logged around 14 miles (not recommended). We launched at daybreak and searched through the incoming and into the afternoon through the fall. We saw some sights out there today but unfortunatly, redfish activity was really in the minority. The high-light of the day for me came about an hour and a half into the falling tide. We noticed a dorsal fin swimming in a linear dirction. Shark. I thought it might be a good idea to cast a fly to it. I placed a black fly well in front of the fin and began stripping (the fly, that is). The shark turned and chased it. The next thing I know it feels like I'm hooked to the bumper of a car. I'm not sure if it was hooked in the mouth or foul hooked but I did have it on the line for about 5 mintues......saw parts of my backing not seen since the purchase of the reel. I began to but some pressure on it and the line broke inside my loop.

I was able to sight fish a lower slot red......appeard to be in the 22 inch range. Didn't seem to pull as hard as the shark but I was able to land the red.

I think I'm gonna feel the effects of that paddle tomorrow.

Bart

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 20th, 2008, 10:57 am 

Next outing not only will I wear my lucky hat but bringing along Mr. Leprechaun!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 20th, 2008, 11:37 am 

Amazing what a little grog can do...or make you do.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 20th, 2008, 5:21 pm 

I took a new member "Tom" out. Since our ride had boat problems I thought it would be good to show Tom some areas that he could fish without a boat. He was impressed with the water clarity and we saw alot of bait fish being chased. After many cast to the areas of bait no hookups. We had a very good time and I think Tom has alot of new places to fish the next time he visits Jax.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 1:20 pm 

Hey guys,

Woody and Bart congrats on getting fish ! Man, you guys are consistent. Shark...that's awesome.
Note to self, keep hands and feet inside boat in Fernandina. No wading. As far as car bumpers go, I'm about to hook my fly line to mine and have someone drive it off...what's backing ? Smile

Still sounds like tough going. Y'all are determined.

FYI, I left a post in the outing section. Was it in the wrong place ?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 1:59 pm 
Education FCFF

Brad.......you call it determined, my wife calls it insane.......I'm thinking both... Mr. Green

BTW.....no problem with your post.....Rob will move all of these over to the same post later.

Bart

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 27th, 2008, 7:21 pm 

Slow day eh? That was nice of you Bob to take out Tom. Good way to retain new members.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 8:56 pm 

I'm new member Tom, and yes it was very nice of Bob White to show me some wading spots on the Talbots. I'm fairly new at casting salt water flies since I live in Ohio and get down here only 5-6 times a year if I'm lucky. I hope to be able to get to a meeting and/or another outing in the near future and meet some more members. Thanks again, Bob!
Tom Beattie

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Fernandina Outing July 2008
PostPosted: January 7th, 2009, 1:15 pm 
Administrator

Cloudy skies with a light west wind had me believing we would find lots of hungry Reds in the basin. Bart and I put in at 1st light and made the long paddle from the ramp at the north end of Fernadina to the area we wanted to start fishing with little effort. We encounter lots very active Tarpon, many sharks in the shallows and a large group of Manatees along the way but no Reds. This turned out to be a recurring theme for the day. By the time we packed it in we had paddled 14 miles and spent 9 hours from incoming through low tide fishing hard with one small Red to show for our effort. Some of the highlights of the day include Bart sight fishing and hooking a big Shark, Bart casting to a tail on an oyster bar that turned out to be a big Tarpon, spending time in beautiful Tiger Basin and running into Woody who was fishing with Don. My suggestions for fishing this area, rig a 12wt and concentrate on the Tarpon or Sharks.

Profile Email