It is currently November 21st, 2017, 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Talbot Island Surf August 2008
PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 6:41 pm 
Ex-President

I paddled out to the north point of Tablot Island from Black Rock which is a 1.25 mile paddle. I got to the beach as the tide started dropping and there were about 10 members casting into the surf. Although wind conditions were perfect the overcast sky made sight fishing impossible so I decided to blind cast the troughs. I got lucky and landed a nice white Red around 30"s; someone took a picture but I don't have it. I decided to get back into my Kayak and fish the moving water just outside the breakers. I was hooking big Ladyfish on every cast.
Attachment:
Lady Eye.jpg
Attachment:
Big Lady.jpg
I was also getting bit off by some kind of sharp toothed fish I never got the pleasure to meet. As the tide got lower I headed for the outside bars and covered them from top to bottom for a good 2 hours. I didn't see any Reds but I did find a small school of Black Drum and caught one on a Lambert Oyster Mullet.
Attachment:
Black Drum.jpg
I paddled back to the inside beach area as the tide started to cover the bars I had been fishing and most of the guys were gone. I'm not sure how they did but I do know that Bob Connery caught a nice Red, a lady fish and a Pompano.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by FCFF_Admin on August 25th, 2008, 11:50 am, edited 4 times in total

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Talbot outing
PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 7:18 pm 
Education FCFF

Great pics! Sounds like a good time. Those ladies are HUGE!

Bart

Profile Email  

PostPosted: August 17th, 2008, 3:17 pm 

I think it was a good outing for all. The weather was calm, the water was clear, and your at the beach. It was a win/win for everyone. I also think we learned more about fly fishing the surf.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: August 17th, 2008, 6:27 pm 

It was a great outing even though Rob and Bob (Bob's 1st red @ 30" I hear tell) caught all the fish! It proved to be a true learning experience and a type of fishing I look forward to in the future. I have already begun stocking my fly box with the appropriate bait.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 6:09 pm 

You fishing live bait? Looks like a wet rat. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: October 9th, 2008, 10:39 am 

Robo,
Maybe I am out of place for saying this because I'm a newbie, but I take exception to your "I got lucky" statement you made.

I was one of the ones who watched you paddle your kayak to the beach, talk to folks on shore of LTI for 20 minutes, then proceed to hook and land an 8-10lb red in LESS THAN 10 minutes of fishing when the rest of us had been fishing since 8 AM for 1-1/2 hrs ? When I saw your 7wt rod bent in half - I thought - are you kidding me ? If you'll remember I came back in the water with you when you started fishing from shore that morning - I was 50 yards away. I believe it took you more time to actually fight that fish than it took casting for it. You hoisted that fish in my stripping basket to get a better grip when you landed it.

"Holy smokes, how can it be ?", I thought.

Luck ? No way, I've seen too many photos of you holding your catch.
Experience - sure - if it hadn't have been so ridiculously quick.
Was Bart offshore scuba diving with a caged fish and hooked it on for you ? Nah, I didn't see any bubbles.

Then I saw you paddle out a couple of hundred yards offshore right in front of me and hook ladyfish after ladyfish.
It seemed every time I looked up I saw that rod of yours bent in half - again.

It was one of those times after I looked up (when my arm was getting tired and my line wrapped around my leg, and my freshly tied, white Surfin Wooly's hook caught my leg) that the frustration set in.

What was I doing wrong ? Was the fly too light and my retrieve too fast, etc., ?

But during that time of reflection the only possible conceivable answer came to me...hmmm...he surfs, fishes, in the water constantly, kind of an "aquaman"....
Attachment:
Telepathy-thumb.jpg

Try and deny it, but your secret is out, Robo, you ARE telepathic with fish.

Skunkt,
Brad

P.S. Thanks for offering to paddle my Surfin' Wooly out two hundred yards to those ladyfish. If that offer holds next time, and I'm still skunkt,
I might take you up on it. Smile

Profile Email  

Post subject: Bob White
PostPosted: January 7th, 2009, 1:34 pm 
Administrator

I have attached some information about fly fishing the surf. We plan on meeting at the boat ramp on Big Talbot Island around 8:00 AM. If you need the exersize you can walk up from the dune walkover structure (at state park entrance) to the north end of the island (about 1.5 miles). Please sign up at the next meeting so arraingements can be organized.

Profile Email